Saturday, February 14, 2009

Faith and Skepticism


Today I'm pondering my last post and noticing that it was a lot different in tone from my previous posts, which were written two or more years ago. This is partly a matter of audience -- it was originally written to a Christian online forum of which I am a part, and I think I've directed other posts to a somewhat more diverse group of readers.




But I'm also thinking about how much I've "settled in" to my faith in the past several years. And that this isn't a bad thing.


When I decided to come back to Christianity after having had a bit of a tiff with the Christian God and His people, it was because I'd figured out I can't do spirituality any other way. I need the Christian story and I need my faith to be Jesus-centered and I need for Jesus to be the God-Man, who was interested enough in relationships with people that He'd come in a form we can understand.


So as much as I had come to admire aspects of Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Neo-Paganism and other faiths, I realized that I had to have Jesus as God or I'd be miserable.


I've said before that the faith of my youth had an enormous emphasis on prooving itself to skeptics. Since I grew up with a skeptic, it seemed very important to me to prove that Christianity was rational, factual and ultimately impervious to argument.


But when I came back to faith, I did so with the realization that I can't prove any of this stuff -- I just need it. So I more-or-less "special-ordered" my faith:


  • God is Mystery (check)

  • God is "everywhere present and fills all things" (check)

  • God loves and is a befriending God (check)

  • God came in the flesh to save us from death (check)

  • Jesus, who is God Incarnate, died and then came back to life (check)

  • We are never, at any time, without hope (check)

But a funny thing happened on the way to the altar. The first few years, I was more a skeptic-with-hope; now I seem not to need the skepticism anymore. And this is a strange realization -- that skepticism was as much a need for me as faith was. Skepticism was my safety-net, just in case I ended up being a fool. If, at the end of all things, my beliefs about Jesus turned out to be a fantasy, I wanted to be able to say, "Yeah, but I wasn't absolutely sure. I wasn't operating on blind faith. I STILL HAVE A BRAIN, ya know."


Of course, I wasn't sure who it was I'd be saying this to, because if the atheists are right, I won't exist anymore, anyway.


Am I simply more psychologically invested in my faith? Yes, definitely. But it's more than that. It's a kind of caution-to-the-wind thing -- a lack of concern over whether others find me foolish. And what happens now is that I encounter God more frequently, now that I don't hold back. There's a freedom in this -- in being able to light the candles in the chapel and not second-guess myself in the middle of the night, but to simply know that Christ is present with me. It is, I think, something like the stages of falling in love. At first, we are unsure of the beloved -- we don't know whether we can trust him, even though we are attracted and he seems attracted back. But after some time goes by, the relationship develops a surety. I've noticed this in 26 years of marriage. And I notice it in my faith.


So I find I am at a new phase now. One that fills me with wonder.




2 comments:

Karen said...

I saw your blog address at the bottom of your email and took a peek. I was impressed with this post and thought I'd comment. I understand what you mean by your skepticism being part of your experience. I have dealt with this too. Where many cling to their skepticism to excuse their brain from thinking or changing themselves to a better person, to what God wants, those of us who are skeptics because we need to use our brains to become a better person understand the dilemma of faith versus knowledge. But I really think therein lies the greatest growth possibilities. When we trust that there is someone who knows more than us, and wants us to learn it with Him but knows that we have to let go of our own finite understanding of things to be able to grasp the infinite understanding. It's such a dichotomy but a truly amazing process of learning. As most discoveries are, it's not what made sense at first, but when you look back...its astonishing in its simplicity. Anyhow I just wanted to drop my two cents. Once again, I loved the blog.

Katherine Grace Bond said...

Thanks, Karen! It's good to find a kindred spirit.

Yes, it's that walking into the infinite that I love most.