Friday, February 23, 2007

Thin Places


“Standing in the temple we stand in heaven.”

I have spoken of the origins of the Christian temple in the experience of the “assembly as the Church.” We can now add that insofar as this assembly is undoubtedly conceived of as heavenly, the temple is that “heaven on earth” that realizes the “assembly as the Church.” It is the symbol that unites these two realities, these two dimensions of the Church – “heaven” and “earth,” one manifested in the other, one made a reality in the other.

--from The Eucharist by Fr. Alexander Schmemann, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 2000.


I always tell myself that liturgy is a hard sell. Many folks see liturgy as “empty ritual;” others see it as superstition, still others see it as boring, interminably long and irrelevent to their daily lives.

But I need ritual. I’d even go so far to say that we all need it – a connecting point with the Divine, a place to physicalize our spiritual longing. I’ve taken part in many spiritual rituals in my lifetime – passed the sacred pipe around, danced to the drums, sung Kum Ba Ya around the campfire, prayed inside a Sukkah, attempted yoga poses my body was not ready for. But specifically I have found that I need the Liturgy. I need it not just for the incense and the icons and the chant, not just for crossing myself and bowing or for the priest coming out of the altar all in gold – I need it because it connects me with a specific Story that resonates for me like no other Story has. The idea of the Divine becoming human and entering the human experience in order to co-suffer with me, with my friends and enemies, and with every torture victim, every hungry person, every abused child, every one of us who has ever felt lost and alone – that is a concept that will not let me go.

Faith in this Story is just that. Faith and nothing more. I can live with the possibility that it may not be true – that God may not have become incarnate and entered history. But I have decided to live my life as if it is true. I’m willing to be that foolish because the notion of Jesus the God-Man fills me with completeness.

The Celts spoke often of “thin places,” where heaven and earth came together. In Orthodox thinking, the Liturgy is such a place. When I forget myself, time stops and I am there in the presence of Christ, walking through the whole Story with Him. When I do not forget myself, I am focused on my singing, my children behaving themselves, the time, my rumbling stomach. But even then, He is there and the words stay with me all week long:

Only-begotten Son and immortal Word of God, Who for our salvation willed to be Incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and ever-virgin Mary, Who without change became man and was crucified; Who is one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit: O Christ our God trampling down death by death, save us.

I’ve heard it said that life is really just about showing up. So this is where I show up on Sunday mornings, presenting myself to Mystery, allowing it to be bigger than I am, hoping that the co-suffering love of Christ will take ahold of me so that I can take it out into the world and do what I could not otherwise do.

6 comments:

Katherine Grace Bond said...

Most of my comments on this blog are from friends and come directly to my inbox. I have been so appreciative of the encouraging responses from such a diverse group of people, most of whom do their spirituality differently than I do.

I do have an anonymous fan whose postings I have not allowed through, but perhaps I am being unfair. I've hesitated to post these because this man is apparently a fellow Orthodox who is, in his own way, holding us in his prayers. He speaks to a tragic state of affairs in the Orthodox Church. Here are his posts:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Justice, Hypocrisy and the Big Question":

Has Fr. Andrew decided what part of the Orthodox Church he is in communion with?


Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Justice, Hypocrisy and the Big Question":

Who is Andy's bishop? Local Orthodox wonder. Also why no comments are ever posted.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Thin Places":

Great quote, are you in communion with Fr. Alexander?



I'd love to say that Orthodoxy is Utopia, but it is not. I'm here for the theology. I can't get away from the Incarnation. But people are, as anywhere, people. We have these tragic family feuds and folks get really upset trying to decide who's "in" and who's "out." It's no comfort to me that a Buddhist friend was telling me the same thing happens between various gurus.

Anyway... welcome Anonymous. I'm glad you are so interested in our church. I wonder if you would introduce yourself. Who is your bishop? Do you know him personally? Is he a man of character? Whoever he is, I honor the office of Bishop. Were I to meet him I would ask his prayers as I ask yours today.

What brought you to Orthodoxy? Are you cradle Orthodox or a convert? Was there a point in your journey when you knew this was what you must do? Were you ever given the unexpected gift of tears?

I believe that your zeal comes from love -- love for the Orthodox Church and her members, love for the nurturing you, yourself, have received, love for Christ. I believe it comes from a conviction that NOTHING must attack or undermine the Church. And I respect that.

I have to say that it is hard to hear you when your words are phrased like an attack. I don't know you. You know my name, my husband's name, where we worship. Yet you choose to post anonymously here and, as I am hearing it, unkindly. You feel rather threatening to me, though I'm not sure if that's how you want to come across.

I have been praying for you since your first post. I will continue to do so. Please let me know how I can pray -- I do not mean this sarcastically and would appreciate a response that is not sarcastic. If you are truly a Christian man, you have it in you to speak with charity, even when you have disagreements with others.

Peace to you, and to your family and parish.

Matushka Katherine

Anonymous said...

Hold it hold it hold it. I realize I am defecating on the roses, here, but I cannot let this line go by: " I can live with the possibility that it may not be true."

That is not being openminded. That is intentionally living your life in service to a delusion. If the liturgy is not true, then no, there is no presence of Christ; you are simply making yourself feel warm and fuzzy. There is no meaning in any of those symbols. You might as well pick a Joseph Campbell myth at random and dedicate your whole life to it.

To me, truth is EVERYTHING. Why would you dedicate your life and your passion and your imagination and your talent and your time to something that is false? A really pleasant comfy lie is still a lie.

And that's where it ends for me. The stories that resonate so strongly in us, that a benevolent being cares about every little aspect of our life, don't come even close to being proved true. Unless it is true on some level, is really applicable in our personal lives, practical and real, why would we celebrate a fantasy?

if the litrugy IS true, well, that's a whole different thing. But you can't just say "Might be, might not be" as if that makes no difference.

My advice: spend less time enjoying a fantasy and more time investigating whether it's true. Unless you also think we get several lives to work this out in. I think we only have one life on earth, so I'm dying to find out what is true.

You might even say I'm hell bent on it.
Lingo

Katherine Grace Bond said...

This particular Anonymous is my friend Scott Pinzon, who said it was okay to post his name; he just forgot his blogger password.

Scott is a fabulous writer and I wish I could find his blog to post here, so... if you're still blogging, Scott...??

Okay, so let me take a stab at explaining what I mean.

I think it depends how you are measuring truth. There are certain things we accept as true because they are part of our measurable physical reality: I trust that the couch I am sitting on is going to support my weight (well, hopefully!); I trust that if I jump off the roof I will go down.

Spiritual truth involves unseen, immeasurable things. It is more akin to believing that love exists -- It is not something I can prove. In Orthodoxy, one of the first premises is that God is unknowable. In other words, God is that which can NOT be understood.

When I was an evangelical Christian, the emphasis was very much on "proving" our faith to people. There were books on legal evidence for the Resurrection and don't get me started on Creationism. (I'm afraid I am not a Creationist, anyway.) Then there was the zeal to collect "miracle stories" to tell our friends who would hopefully be impressed enough to convert.

In fact, it seemed a lot of the emphasis was on converting our friends -- and holding on so tightly to the idea that our faith was provable because we HAD to prove it in order to convert our friends, who would burn in hell unless they agreed with us.

And that's just not the way I think now. In a lot of ways my faith is a very quiet and personal journey. You spoke of stories resonating for us; I trust in that resonance -- that there is something true underneath it. The Christ story resonates for me like no other and that is the one I base my life on.

Is it a fantasy? I suppose it might be. Lewis called Christianity the "true myth." I love it that we have the scriptures and other writings from Jesus' disciples and their disciples. But people can say many things about those writings.

I can spend the rest of my life stressing out over whether others view my faith as ridiculous; I can dig in my heels and insist that there can be no way I am wrong; or I can simply accept that NOTHING is provable -- not even that I am actually sitting on a couch and that it supports my weight. There is always a philosophical question regarding the nature of truth, spiritual or otherwise.

So, you think we only get one life on earth? How do you know that?

It's so good to hear from you, Scott.

Love,

Katherine

Edith Humphrey said...

Dear Matushka:

I wonder if you could tell me place which part of the liturgy Fr. Schmemann is quoting when he says "Standing in the temple we stand in heaven." I am Anglican, though I have several Orthodox family members, but I have never heard this quote, either in Great Vespers or in the LIturgy--is it part of the "quieter" dialogue that the priest and deacon engage in?

Thanks...I am reading Schmemann now for a book I will write on Worship, and googled the phrase, finding your blog. (I teach at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary)

A sister in Christ,
Edith Humphrey
ehumphrey@pts.edu

Katherine Grace Bond said...

Hi Dr. Humphrey,
Thanks for posting (you might want to go in and edit out your email address so you don't get spam. I now have it in my inbox since I moderate my comments)

I'm almost certain the quote was in his book "On the Liturgy," but I will need to go home and pull it off the shelf to see. I'm not home right now, but will try to get to that this weekend.

Peace to you,

Katherine

Katherine Grace Bond said...

Okay, looking back at this I see it is not what you were asking. And I had the title of the book wrong in my comment. It is, indeed, "The Eucharist."

I forwarded your question to my husband who can answer it more accurately than I can. I'll get back to you.

Katherine